Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
10-May-2012 (Thursday) Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

10-May-2012 (Thursday)
Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

THE HOLY MOTHER : OUR ETERNAL HAVEN - 07
SISTER NIVEDITA

This is one of the occasions on which people look back, feeling that their courage was providentially determined by their ignorance. It is difficult to see how else a necessary solution could have been found. Yet had I deeply understood at the time the degree of social embarrassment which my rashness might have brought, not only upon my innocent hostess but also on her kindred in their distant village, I could not have acted as I did (Note 3). At any cost I must in that case have withdrawn. As it was, however, I imagined caste to be only a foolish prejudice – which must yield to knowledge – against some uncleanness of foreign habits, and thus cheerfully assuming all the ignorance to be on her side, confidently forced myself upon this Indian lady’s hospitality.

(Note 3 - Despite her own personal broad outlook, and to her great distress, Mother was compelled to refuse permission to an eager Nivedita to visit her birthplace, Jayrambati, due to the extremely conservative social practices prevalent there. Her own mother, Shyamasundari Devi, was very fond of Nivedita, but she too, most reluctantly, had to discourage Nivedita’s enthusiasm for visiting Jayrambati. Nivedita had said to her: “Grandmother, I shall go to your country home and cook in your kitchen.” Shyamasundari had replied, “No, Didi, don’t say that, the village society will boycott us.”(HMSSD – Holy Mother Sri Sarada Devi, 2nd edition, 2nd edition, 1969, p. 277).That they had given into social injunctions despite great reluctance was not due to the fear of social boycott, it was also the apprehension of their beloved Nivedita being insulted or humiliated. Though Mother did not dare to take Nivedita to Jayrambati, she had transgressed again and again rural obscurantism. There are many instances of these! Amjad’s being an outstanding one. On several occasions she even had to pay fines imposed by the heads of the local community. Had she taken Nivedita to Jayrambati, it is likely that the reluctant social upheaval would have been more of a humiliation to Nivedita than to Mother herself. Perhaps that is why Mother desisted from it. In Kolkata, however, her attitude was uncompromising. Swami Asitananda mentions an incident: One day Nivedita herself cooked food, offered it to the Master in the temple, and gave a portion of it to the Mother who accepted it with great delight and partook of it. This created a furore in the circle of tradition-bound women and they even criticized the Mother harshly for it. Disgusted with that attitude, the Mother remarked, “Nivedita is my daughter. She has the right to offer food to our dear Master. The food thus sanctified shall be accepted by me most gladly and without any hitch. If anyone finds anything improper in it, let them keep their own counsel.” (Translated from SS – Shatarupe Sarada, p. 151)

(REMINISCENCES OF Sri Sarada Devi by Monastics, Devotees, and others -
Compiled and Edited in Bengali by SWAMI PURNATMANANDA - Translated by MALOTI SEN GUPTA : P 109)

Re: 10-May-2012 (Thursday) Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

This is very interesting. And, it is helpful. Here, in the Southern States where I live, there is a great prejudice against any value or personage who does not serve (or seem to serve) the orthodox Christian dogma. My own family is very conservative in this way and would never in a million years understand my attitude of devotion and attraction towards Hinduism.
Therefore I feel badly when someone comes to visit me and I have to put my altar pictures away. Am I ashamed? Do I lack the courage of my convictions? Am I a dissembler? I have had to work through some of these questions about myself. There are also feelings of protection that come into play. I have had to hear in the past some taunting, disrespectful remarks about my Spiritual Mother and Father, so nowadays, whenever someone comes to visit, I lay their picture downwards, but not before I tell them that I am sorry. Good to have you back, Satwik.

Re: 10-May-2012 (Thursday) Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

There is nothing wrong with protecting your spirituality from attack.

Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsadeva said:

“One should hiss to bad persons to frighten them away, so that they may not harm you later on. One must not inject poison into them and injure them.”