Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 19-May-2012 (Saturday) Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

The Divine Mother Tulsi lives, dear Sister Rosemary. I remember our visit to the temple of Mother Tulsi at Madras. Considered the wife of Lord Vishnu, Mother Tulsi was once the chaste wife of a powerful asura or demon who was an enemy of the Gods. The demon was creating havoc and had to be killed, but the vigil and worship of the chaste Tulsi made it impossible for even the Lord to kill him. In the end of this episode, Lord Vishnu Himself intervenes to break Mother Tulsi's vigil, and the Demon was finally killed.

Tulsi leaves are indispensable for the worship of Narayana or Vishnu, and it is said that offering of a single leaf of Tulsi is much more valued by Vishnu than anything else on Earth.

So imagine the effect of devoted, prayerful, humble and loving offering of Tulsi by saints like Swami Premeshananda Ji, Holy Mother's disciple, to Lord Vishnu.

May MOther Tulsi return to your care, Sister, is my prayer for you.

Ankur

Thank you indeed, Brother Ankur!

Hi Rosemary,

You wrote: "Nivedita was throwing off all vestiges of her identification with Christianity"

Why would anyone wish to throw that away?

Isn't it like throwing the baby out with the bath water?

One may cherish the noble ideals and teachings of Christianity, without belonging to any Christian sect or religion.

Tom, I don't know why. This is how the movie portrayed the situation. It may be erroneous like some other of the other over-simplified scenarios.
However, although I'm finding some of the "facts" to be incorrect in the movie it seems that most of the "thread" of the story is correct. Other than that, I don't know. Funny that I just used that expression about "baby and bathwater" just yesterday!

Respectfully,
Rosemary