Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
‎22-May-2012 (Tuesday) Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

‎22-May-2012 (Tuesday)
Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

THE HOLY MOTHER : OUR ETERNAL HAVEN - 19
SISTER NIVEDITA

I never saw a face so full of love…The Holy Mother is here (back from Jayarambati), so small, so thin, so dark, worn out physically, I should say, with village hardship and village life. But the same clear mind – the same stateliness, the same womanhood, as before. Oh, how many comforts I would like to take her. She needs a soft pillow, a shelf, a rug, so many things (LSN, to Josephine MacLeod, 24/2/1904, Vol. 2, 1982, pp. 630-631) The Holy Mother told a vision lately in which she had seen me – and I was clothed in gerrua. (LSN, To Josephine MacLeod, 8/9/1904, Vol. 2, 1982, p. 677) Note 6 (Note 6: This vision of Mother implies Nivedita’s mental renunciation of the world, without any outward signs. Swamiji had initiated Nivedita into brahmacharya. That is why she was always dressed in white. We have heard from Swami Abhayananda (Bharat Maharaj) that at times Nivedita tied an ochre kerchief round her head. Swamiji’s refusal to initiate Nivedita into sannyasa in spite of her eagerness and supplication was perhaps because with the vision of a seer he knew that Nivedita would be involved in political activities in time to come and that would be a breach of the regulations he had formed for the monastic Order. However, Swamiji also knew that Nivedita would honour until death the essential vows of sannyasa, that is brahmacharya. Therefore, Swamiji had initiated her into mental renunciation – antahsannyasa. This seems to be the significance of Mother’s vision regarding Nivedita. P. 126)

She is the very Mirror of Faithfulness. With her, it is in truth, once loved, ever loved. (Letter dated 15/9/1910, The Vedanta Kesari, July 1996, p. 260.)

(REMINISCENCES OF Sri Sarada Devi by Monastics, Devotees, and others -
Compiled and Edited in Bengali by SWAMI PURNATMANANDA - Translated by MALOTI SEN GUPTA : P 115)

Re: ‎22-May-2012 (Tuesday) Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

This letter was written one month before Nivedita sailed to America to watch over the sick bed of Sara Bull. One year later Nivedita left her mortal body. From what I understand on Nivedita's last return to India she went straight to Holy Mother. One feels that she needed the comfort that must have been afforded to her.

Jai Ma!

Re: ‎22-May-2012 (Tuesday) Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

Thanks sister for these details...
Jai Maa!!!