Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
27-May-2012 (Sunday) Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

27-May-2012 (Sunday)
Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

THE HOLY MOTHER : OUR ETERNAL HAVEN - 25
SISTER NIVEDITA

And everyone says now that the Swamiji was the source of the new ideas and they come to touch the feet of the Holy Mother, and Saradananda will not consent for any reason to turn them away!... (LSN, To Mrs. Ole Bull, 1/9/1909, vol 2, 1982, p. 999-1000.) Last night he (Dr. Bose) brought Bo (Abala Bose) (Bo refers to abala Bose, wife of Jagadish Chandra Bose; Nivedita called Jagadish Chandra “Khoka” (little boy or son) implying that she regarded him as her son. Abala Bose in that respect was her Bou or Bouma (in Bengali) meaning, daughter-in-law.) to make a pranam to the Holy Mother. Mother was so lovely to her! All (national) parties are now united to say, new spirit comes from Ramakrishna-Vivekananda and the men who have been released come to make pranam to Holy Mother. All the great nationalists do it now – all recognize that the call came through Swamiji. Mother says, “What fearlessness, only Master and Swamiji could have brought about this fearlessness! All their fault!”Isn’t she extraordinary?...(LSN, To (?), 22/7/1909, vol. 2, 1982, p. 987.) The Holy Mother is perfect. (LSN, To Josephine MacLeod, 5/8/1909, Vol. 2, 1982, p. 990.)

The other day I said to the Holy Mother, “The day foretold by Sri Ramakrishna when you would have too many children, is almost here – for the whole of India is yours!” She answered, “I am seeing it.” (LSN, To Josephine MacLeod, 5/8/1909, Vol. 2, 1982, p. 990).

(REMINISCENCES OF Sri Sarada Devi by Monastics, Devotees, and others -
Compiled and Edited in Bengali by SWAMI PURNATMANANDA - Translated by MALOTI SEN GUPTA : P 117-118)

Re: 27-May-2012 (Sunday) Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

By reading the different biographies of Nivedita, I am gaining different interpretations. Last night at dinner, I was reading a passage concerning Dr. Bose in "The Dedicated, a biography of Nivedita" by Lizelle Reymond.

p. 181, The Dedicated

"Jagadis Bose had a difficult time of it at Presidency College. As he was a Hindu, the Committee had not given him a proper title. This meant a reduction in salary and prevented him from having his own laboratory. Out of loyalty to his Hindu colleagues at the university, Bose had decided to lodge an individual protest and had simply refused to accept his reduced salary. The struggle had gone on for three years. Then, his research on polarization having awakened considerable interest--with the result that the Royal Society in London offered him a scholarship--the government had been forced to give his title retroactively....
...The struggle, however, had been a hard one, and Jagadis Bose was left in a terrible state of discouragement....Nivedita sensed this...Now her first action was to arouse the interest of Mrs. Bull...

...'You know how to inspire a great man to do great work. Think about him...You must protect him...'

Appreciate your posts very much!! Rosemary

Re: 27-May-2012 (Sunday) Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

Thank you so much, sister... And hope my dear had a wonderful birthday seeing places associated with Swamiji in the NYC!!!
Your brother ever,
Satwik