Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Swami Vivekananda in New York

Dear, Dear Rosemary..

Of course, I was only teasing you.

Just an example of my twisted sense of humour.

Highly cultured Swamiji, with his upper class British education, would have been as out of place in Harlem, as Mohamed Ali would be in Buckingham Palace.

I have only been once to New York City. I remember sitting in the Port of Authority Bus Terminus, with my cousin who lived in New Jersey, in the summer of 1961.

We used to sit there and watch the policeman nudge the winos, who were sleeping on the benches, with his nightstick, saying, "Ok, fella, time to get up and move on now".

I must have been 16 years old at the time. That's about all I remember about the place...

Cheers...:)

Re: Swami Vivekananda in New York

(Excerpt from Sri Sarada Society Notes: Spring 2012 Volume 18, Issue 1, p 3)

Integral Vedanta Looks Ahead

Vastness of Swamiji

"His was an all inclusive vision--every aspect of life was an illustration of a spiritual ideal waiting to be recognized, divinity manifesting. During one of his walks in New York City, Vivekananda's gaze rose to the top of a skyscraper. Possibly, it was the 260-foot New York Tribune building, one of the earliest skyscrapers. He immediately, helf-audibly, commented on the greateness of the Divine Mother. It was the energy of the Divine Mother that appeared in this form before him. Furthermore, its construction spoke of human power and vision coupled with dauntless spirit. He marveled, realising these qualities could be harnessed and utilized by man for spiritual growth."

The New York Skyline as seen from the Empire State Building, May 26, 2012

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic