Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
18-January-2015 (Sunday) Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda

18-January-2015 (Sunday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
The feud between Nalini-Didi and Chhota-Mami – 03

Radhu was the daughter of the Mother’s youngest brother, Abhay, whom she had brought up and educated from his childhood. Soon after finishing his studies at the Medical School, he passed away suddenly due to an attack of cholera. At the time of his death he was very much worried by the condition of his wife, who was then in the family way. As a dying wish, he requested the Mother to take up the responsibility of the mother and child. It is this woman who is described above as the Chhota-Mami , the younger aunt. Her husband’s death left her crazy and totally unfit to look after Radhu, the infant born to her at this time. The Holy Mother had about this time a vision of the Master, who wanted her to stay on in the world using Radhu as a ‘prop’. That was why the Mother accepted Radhu as her own. After the Master’s demise, the Mother found no worldly duty holding her on to the life of the body, and she would have abandoned the body, had not Radhu, the ‘prop’, entered into her life. Held down to body-consciousness by the attachment for Radhu, the Mother was available for suffering humanity for spiritual service.

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) –
Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 96]