Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
​19-January-2015 (Monday) Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda

​19-January-2015 (Monday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
The feud between Nalini-Didi and Chhota-Mami – 04

It is seldom that Chhota-Mami and Nalini-Didi could be seen together and talking, as they tried to avoid each other. But this day when they were arranging their respective presentation articles, they were seen to talk now and then. But the Mother paid no heed to what they talked about. She stood leaning against the wall of Bara-Mama’s portico, feeding the two boys with rice and curries, sometimes herself serving them several items. Chhota-Mami and Nalini-Didi continued their talk in a loud voice. Their object was somehow to draw the Mother’s attention to the inadequacy of the presentation articles and procure better things in their place. The Mami and the Didi now said in a loud voice to catch the Mother’s ears: “It is unfortunate that better things have not been selected. What will our relations say? They will cry shame on us, as these articles of present will be far below their expectation.” After hearing such remarks for some time, the Mother said in a sorrowful voice, looking at the boys, “How many children like these have I! How easy it is to please them! Serve them with whatever you have in any way, in hands or in plates, they will eat it joyfully. And these – if one of theirs comes, how many cups we have to set before him! And, if it is not done so, how many are the remarks that are passed!” The Mother did not, however, turn her glance at the ‘presents’ even once. After their meal, the boys took their betel rolls and went to the Baithak-khana (drawing room) of Kali-Mama to have rest. The Mother too went inside her room. The mind of Nalini-Didi must have been very much depressed today. Who knows if the Mother had not to cajole her in the end, to make her take her food! Oh, Mother, what a mad environment Thou hast created for Thyself!

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) –
Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 96-97]