Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
​13-February-2015 (Friday) Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda

​13-February-2015 (Friday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
The Mother’s Attitude towards Presents – 02

Here is an instance of it. In the village of Daharkunda, there lived a few poor cultivator-sons of hers. Once they came to Jayrambati from their very distant village on foot, carrying head-loads of vegetables grown by themselves, as presents to the Mother. It was surprising to note with what joy and cordiality the Mother received them. They were poor, uneducated and ill-clad. With great hesitation they placed the articles before the Mother and stood quietly aside. They had the fear whether the Mother would accept these trifling offering of theirs, when so many costly ones were presented to her by others. But the Mother’s joyous reaction belied their fears. The Mother accepted their offerings with great appreciation, started examining them, and with a voice dripping affection, praised them saying, “My sons, what great pains you have taken to carry these fine things over such a long distance!”

Amongst the vegetables was a big ripe Chalkumra ( a type of gourd) and a beautiful Man Kochu (a large variety of yam). Those were not to be had at Jayrambati. So the Mother was very much elated to see them. She fed the boys very affectionately and asked them to spend the night there. How blessed they felt by this kindness and cordiality of the Mother!

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 105]