Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
28-February-2015 (Saturday) Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda

28-February-2015 (Saturday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
Taking of the Mother’s Foot-Print – 01

A certain devotee-son was a hot favourite of Bhanu-Pisi (aunt).The Pisi addressed the Mother’s son as Dada, a term of endearment for a grandson (elder brother, also used for grandfather or grandson endearingly - as per the translation of this passage appearing in Vedanta Kesari April 1979 p: 126). She was the Mother’s ‘aunt’, and so the Mother’s sons were her dear grandsons. She told this grandson of hers one day: “Disciple-sons keep with them impressions of the soles of the Mother’s feet. So better procure a pair for yourself.” With great earnestness, the son requested the Mother for this, and the Mother agreed. Accordingly, after a few days, he brought a phial of red dye and a few white handkerchiefs, and gave them to the Mother. The Christmas vacation was then approaching. The Mother explained to the son: “The Christmas vacation is coming soon. Many devotees will be coming here. What will they think seeing red colour n my feet? So better leave these with me now. After some time, I shall have the impressions taken at my convenience.” Then with a smile playing on her lips, she just added, “The boys making Pranams to me will look at my feet and think that the Mother has put on alta (lac-dye) on her feet!” (It is only married women, with husbands living, who put it on.) The son was very much satisfied and handed over the phial and the handkerchiefs to the Mother.

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 110]