Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
26-March-2015 (Thursday) Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda

26-March-2015 (Thursday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
Mother’s Life for Her Devotees: Her Letters – 08

6. At that time the condition of the country was very alarming. The inhuman atrocities let loose by the British Government against the political agitators had produced an atmosphere of great terror in the country. The police were all-powerful and were keeping a strict watch everywhere. The Sadhus of the Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission too were suspect. The police were vigilant about both Koalpara and Jayrambati. The locality was malarial and difficult to access, and it was abode of uneducated people. That was the reason why the Government had considered it an ideal spot to keep interned the healthy and strong young patriots to teach them a lesson. Practically every police station (Thana) of the locality had some of these young internees. Among them were to be found some who had obtained the love and grace of the Mother. The Mother’s mind would always be full of worries concerning their welfare. Some of them would write to the Mother occasionally. These letters would bear the ‘Police Stamp’ on them. Seeing such letters several times, she could identify that mark of police censoring. So whenever she got such a letter, she would take it up in her hand and keep looking at the ‘Police Stamp’ for a long time with her eyes filled with tears. Sometimes a few words would come out of her lips, giving expression to the pent up emotion in her heart.

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 118-119]