Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
30-March-2015 (Monday) Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda

30-March-2015 (Monday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
The Mother’s Practical Wisdom : Examples – 1

The Mother never tolerated her householder devotees developing indifference and disorderliness in the discharge of their worldly duties under the guise of spirituality. “The household is the Lord’s, and so, whatever duty He has entrusted one with should be discharged well, depending entirely upon Him” – this was her teaching to all, whether men or women. She further taught: “If sorrows and troubles assail you, call on the Master, and He will show you the way.” The Mother would be sorry for those who ran away from their duties. She would say, “Even the Master, who would not know whether his wearing cloth was on or off, had so many worries about me!” The Mother said that the Master used to think much about her welfare. Troubled by thoughts as to where she would stay, how she would manage to have her food and clothing, he would ask certain devotees, “Well, my dear sir, if one has six or seven hundred rupees, could a woman maintain herself in a village?” The Mother said, “For this purpose the Master had collected some money and given it to me.” One day he asked her, “Where have you kept the money?” On the Mother replying, “In the pot where I keep condiments”, the Master was perturbed and asked, “Is it how money is to be kept?” It is said that about six hundred rupees were collected. The money was later deposited in the Zamindari account of Balaram Babu, and it fetched an interest of Rs. 6 per month for her. In speaking on these matters, the Mother would say smilingly, “Now see how much money is coming is being used by His will!”

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 120-121]