Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
​02-April-2015 (Thursday) Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda

​02-April-2015 (Thursday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
The Mother’s Practical Wisdom : Examples
Example Two

When the new house was built for the Mother at Jayrambati the village Panchayat fixed a Chowkidari tax on it. The first year, when the Mother was not present there, the son who was looking after it, paid a sum f Rs. 4 as the annual tax. Next year the Mother was present. When they came to collect the tax, the Mother asked the son, who was there, to go and try to have the tax waived. She said, “Now that I am here, I may pay it somehow or other. But later on, the Sannyasin or the Bahmacharin who would be here, may have to live on alms. Where will he get the money to pay such a tax? So try to get tax exemption.” Accordingly the Mother had a letter sent to the President through the son in her name. As a result of this, although the tax had to be paid that year, they could get a promise that from the next year they would be exempted from it. The next year the Mother sent a son at the proper time and made sure that the exemption was sanctioned.

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 122]