Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
07-April-2015 (Tuesday) Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda

07-April-2015 (Tuesday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
More of the Mother’s Correspondence with Devotees – 04

Once the Mother got a letter from an aged Brahmana, complaining about his boy who has taken initiation from the Mother. With great difficulty he had educated his son in the hope that he would be earning member of the family, supporting his aged parents. But unfortunately the boy had left home and joined some Ashrama with the idea of becoming a Sannyasin. The shock of it had stricken down his mother permanently for life. The whole family was in a miserable condition. So the write prayed to the Mother to give back his boy. The Mother listened to the letter in a mood of great sorrow and said, “Ah, how much the old man must be cursing me! And he is in the right! With what sacrifice and with what hopes he had brought up the boy! And now, he has suddenly run away!” The Mother had a letter written in reply, conveying her sympathy for the old Brahmana and offering him consolation. She also informed him that she had no hand in the young man’s abandonment of his home. He had done it of his own accord, without consulting her or even informing her. She knew nothing about his whereabouts also. She asked the father to pray intensely to the Lord and assured him that He would certainly protect them and remove their worries. Then the Mother, addressing the son who was writing the letter for her said, “My child, why do these fools behave like this all of a sudden and this bring sorrow and suffering to their parents and to themselves too? One should visit an Ashrama now and then keeping the company of the Sadhus for sometime, so that the parents get gradually used to it all and understand the temperament of their offspring. Then if he ultimately leaves them, it would not affect them much.” This son of the Mother was that time compelled to return home and stay with his parents. After some time, however, he could gradually win them over and get them to consent to his leaving the world. And as long as they were living, he kept himself in touch with them, and the sweet relationship that existed between them continued to the very end.

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 124-125]
--
May we follow the spiritual path shown by Sri Ramakrishna, Sri Sarada Devi and Swami Vivekananda to reach God, the goal of our lives, and by His power help others also in their struggle to reach Him.