Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
12-April-2015 (Sunday) Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda

12-April-2015 (Sunday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
The Uniqueness of the Mother’s Way of Initiation – 02

Many persons, both men and women, used to go to the Holy Mother, no doubt, in the hope of getting this happiness and peace, and she too, knowing their hearts and aptitudes, gave them various instructions. Such imparting of instructions is known in religious parlance as Initiation (Deeksha), which establishes a spiritual relationship between the Guru (preceptor) and the Sishya (disciple). The way the Mother used to give her initiation was unique and wonderful. In the world we are prone to gauge the magnitude of a work by looking at the outer grandeur and the expenditure incurred. That is why even this ceremony of initiation is generally performed with much show, pomp and fuss. Though some of the children of the Mother might have associated the idea of such show and grandeur in their minds, the moment the affectionate call, “Come, my child,” entered their ears, it made them forget all about their wealth and position and brought them into the realm of the unique sweetness of motiveless love, which they had never experienced before. The son, who had lost his way and direction, for his ‘Mother’, and the way was opened to him to obtain peace and happiness. “You are my Mother and I am your son” – a relationship of this kind which came into existence for ever, would fill the disciple-son’s heart to the brim with joy. For, where was any more room for sorrow or tribulation? That transcendent Reality, about which the son was getting an inkling through this Love of the Mother, now became the support for his life’s journey and the treasure of his heart for ever. Prarabdha (past deeds) was drowning him in the ocean of transmigratory existence, and he now saw hopes of rescue from it. The moment that loving call, “Come, my child”, came floating, the heart would at once be filled with a great strength and the words of assurance would start humming: “Where is the cause for any fear? Listen, the Mother is stretching forward her hands to take you up in hr lap!”

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 126-127]