Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
17-April-2015 (Friday) Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda

17-April-2015 (Friday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
Instances of Disciples initiated by The Mother: Second Instance – 01

A young man of low birth, whom lived a few miles away from Jayrambati, coming to know of the greatness of the Mother, became very eager to get initiation from her. Though, according to the prevalent custom, his family was considered ‘low and untouchable’ by the Hindus of the higher orders, still in that locality they had a high reputation on account of being rich, well-to-do and refined. There were many who knew the young man as well-educated, intelligent and efficient. He was well known to a Sannyasin disciple of the Mother, through whom he placed his heart-felt desire before the Mother. The Mother was pleased with him and agreed to initiate him. There were, however, the caste-ridden villagers of Jayrambati who might raise a hue and cry if it was publicised. This would provoke the community of the would-be disciple too. There was therefore likelihood of some commotion. After a little discussion they arrived at a device to avoid these possible difficulties. The would-be initiate was to spend the night at the house of a relation of his, very near to the Mother’s house, and the Sannyasin who introduced him was to be at the Mother’s house itself for the night.

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 129]