Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
19-April-2015 (Sunday) Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda

19-April-2015 (Sunday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
Instances of Disciples initiated by The Mother: Third Instance – 01

A boy belonging to an aristocratic family was orphaned in his early boyhood, and was brought up in a very depressing condition. To add to his misery, he became a victim to an incurable disease which made him cripple. Rendering all movements painful for him. Even his speech was affected and he became incoherent. His good fortune, however, brought him into contact with a devotee of the Master, who nurtured the boy’s inherent devotional tendencies by speaking to him and singing about Sri Ramakrishna and his greatness. Gradually he began to cherish a desire to visit Dakshineswar, which was the scene of the Great Master’s Leela, and also to see his direct disciples. So with great difficulty he travelled from distant Assam to Calcutta. Then he came to understand about the Holy Mother’s presence at the Udbodhan House, and the desire to meet her seized his soul. After considerable waiting he was permitted to have a Darshan of the Mother. With a heart overflowing with emotion, he prostrated himself before the Mother. A flood of tears drenched his face when his pent up feelings were released. He laid bare before the Mother his tale of woe in his broken and lisping speech. The Mother was all kindness and affection to him, and showered her special grace on him. When he expressed the innermost desire of his heart to be initiated by her, the Mother agreed with a sweet smile on her face. With the Mother’s grace, good fortune gradually dawned on him. Besides gaining peace of mind, he got some relief from abject poverty. Gradually the desire to devote himself entirely to spiritual practices began to dominate his spirit, and in course of time he became a Sannyasin.

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 130]