Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
01-May-2015 (Friday) Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda

01-May-2015 (Friday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
Cases of the Mother giving Initiation without any Formalities – 06

One afternoon a certain aged lady-devotee was found standing before the door of the Mother’s temple at the Belur math and looking with a fixed gaze at the Mother’s picture there. Her little daughter too was standing beside her, holding on to her and looking at the Mother’s picture. After a while the tiny one started looking at the Mother’s picture and then at her own mother’s face alternately. Then she kept on asking her in earnest: “Mother, please tell me if the photo there before us is that of yours or not – please let me know it for certain?” Her mother simply looked at the girl and smiled. She could not answer ‘yes’ or ‘no’. To a person standing close by, hearing the conversation, the thought came, “In the untainted eyes of this simple child it is indeed being revealed that this Mother was verily in the heart of every mother! Every one to whom her glance turned, is charmed by it.” Even now as I look at her picture, I feel how a person completely loses oneself by seeing the reflection of one’s own mother in the Mother’s gaze!

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 135]