Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
08-May-2015 (Friday) Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda

​08-May-2015 (Friday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
Yathartha Ghosh and the Mother – 01

I shall try to give here an illustration to show how very dreadful the Mother considered the burdens and responsibilities of a house-holder to be. The well-known village, Desra, is situated to the north of Jayrambati beyond the river Amodar. There lived a well-to-do householder by the name of Yathartha Ghosh. In his early life he was for some time a compounder assisting a flourishing medical practitioner. Then he came back to his own village and established himself as a full-fledged doctor. During those days, when malaria ravaged the villages, if there was a person who knew how and when to administer a quinine mixture, a purgative or a tonic, or how to manage a burn or a wound, he would be taken as a great doctor. Yathartha Babu had actually earned a great deal by his practice. He had amassed much property, including considerable extent of cultivable land. Besides this, he had a good earning by making a special hand-made paper used for printing maps, an art known in that part of the country. As he had no son of his own, his wife brought up a nephew of hers as their own son. This youngster grew up into a fine young man and took complete charge of the whole household and managed it well. Yathartha Babu and his wife treated this young man as their own begotten son, and he, too, on his part looked upon them verily as his own father and mother. Placing the management of his affairs in the hands of this able foster son of his, Yathartha Babu was having a fine time of ease and comfort.

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 138-139]