Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
​09-May-2015 (Saturday) Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda

​09-May-2015 (Saturday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
Yathartha Ghosh and the Mother – 02

In spite of advancing years, he was quite healthy and strong, and used to go long distances on foot. He often visited the Mother’s house. The Mother too loved him. According to the villagers’ notions of relationship, he was the ‘maternal uncle’ (Mama) of the Mother, and hence to the Mother’s sons, he was their ‘grandfather’. So the ‘grandpa’ always came to have a nice time with his grandchildren. After saluting the Mother and enquiring about her welfare, the grandpa would take to his hubble-bubble, and while enjoying the smoke, would be busy gossiping with the grandchildren for quite a long time. He had no worries of the household to disturb him, and so his job was only to eat, drink and make merry, and sometimes perhaps practise a little medicine. He had a great virtue: If the patient required a medicine, he would take it to him, buying it himself from the pharmacy. If, owning to poverty, a patient could not pay him at once, it would be sufficient if he paid him later. Thus the doctor was spending his last days free from care.

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 139]