Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
13-May-2015 (Wednesday) Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda

13-May-2015 (Wednesday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
Yathartha Ghosh and the Mother – 06

The great pain in Yathartha’s heart abated considerably under the soothing influence of the Mother’s sympathy. He now made Pranam to the Mother and took his leave in a much lighter spirit. But the Mother continued sitting on the bare ground, her eyes staring fixedly, the broomstick lying beside her side and the cloth on her head fallen off. Her legs were stretched in front of her. Her body leaned on her left arm, the palm of which was on the floor. Her head leaned towards her left shoulder and her right palm rested on her lap. She was immersed in deep thought. What was it that was passing through her mind? After some time, a deep sigh escaped from her and the following words came out of her lips: “So Yathartha has again to accept the burden of the household.” A son of hers was by her side. Looking at him, she repeated at intervals a couple of times: ‘Alas! the burden of the household has again fallen on the shoulders of old Yathartha!” Seeing the Mother’s attitude of apprehension and disgust towards the burden of the household and the great sympathy she felt for the old man, the question arose in the mind of the son: “Is the burden of the household more difficult to bear than the bereavement suffered at the death of the son?” This son was of a tender age. He had no idea about how heavy the burden of the household is. Even then, seeing this great worry and sympathy of the Mother, he had the conviction that it was indeed terrible.

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 140-141]