Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
​27-May-2015 (Wednesday) Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda

​27-May-2015 (Wednesday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
Mother’s Preference for Renunciation: Instance of Banku – 04

Satish’s wife was applying the thin plaster of earth and cowdung with the help of a piece of wet cloth to the verandah after the morning sweeping. The raised verandah had already been treated with cow dung plaster. The way it is done by the seasoned hand of an expert housewife, with the semi-circular impressions one after another looking like the petals of lotus, gives a unique beauty in the morning to the village mud houses and produces a feeling of purity and sanctity. It has to be seen to be appreciated. Biswas’s wife quickly washed her hands and brought and spread a beautiful carpet to seat the Mother on this freshly cleaned verandah. With folded hands, the couple welcomed the Mother with great joy, and after she was comfortably seated, made Pranams before her and received her blessings. The Mother was sitting facing the east on this raised verandah. She was sitting at the edge of it with her legs hanging down. Both her hands were resting on her lap. She was wearing a fine red-bordered white cloth with an end of it over her head like a partial veil. Her face was emanating joy, and the bunch of her slightly curly locks were hanging down in front of the right side. The way the Mother was sitting suggested to the mind that it was the Goddess Lakshmi herself who was sitting at the threshold of the fortunate householders. The granary of paddy by the side added to the beauty of her presence.

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 142-143]