Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
03-June-2015 (Wednesday) Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda

03-June-2015 (Wednesday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
Mother’s Regard for Sannyasins: Other Instances – 1

Another incident comes to my mind about the mother’s regard for a Sadhu. One evening at dusk, a son of her’s was reading out her letters to her. The Mother was sitting on the floor on a carpet with her legs stretched out before her. In front of her there was the hurricane lamp burning. The boy was sitting by the side of the Mother and was reading the letters, with his head bent down. All of a sudden his attention was drawn to a big scorpion which was advancing towards the Mother. He was afraid that it might sting the Mother. He at once jumped up and killed it by stamping on it. The Mother looked at it with compassion and said, “It loses its life struck by a Sadhu!” She said it in such a way as to convey the idea that the creature was thus elevated to a higher place. The son knew very well about the extent of his own saintliness! Nevertheless he realised that through the good wishes of the Mother, it would certainly come to pass. Another thought that came to his mind in this connection was about the high regard that the Mother had for Sannyasins!

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 146]