Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
June 05, 2015 Friday: Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

05-June-2015 (Friday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
Mother’s Regard for Sannyasins: Other Instances – 3

In the days when the Mother stayed at Kamarpukur, she built a hut for an Oriya Sadhu there. And when he was sick, she herself arranged for his food and nursing. When she went on a pilgrimage to Varanasi, she presented a blanket to the veteran Sadhu Chameli Puriji of that place who, like the Master, was a disciple of Tota Puri. The Mother had great respect for Sadhus and Sannyasins, and she instilled it into those who stayed with her. She kept a strict watch to see that they showed no trace of disrespect in their behaviour with the Sadhus, even in word or deed. If she found the slightest flaw in this respect, she would at once correct the person concerned. She would instruct her ‘children’ to foster the same regard also for householders who practised renunciation within, even though they did not leave home. It was only for the Seva of the sadhus and devotees that the Mother thought of purchasing some land at Jayrambati. Not only that, both at Jayrambati and at the Udbodhan, the respectful treatment that the Mother gave to the mendicants of all denominations evoked our wonder, and served as an object lesson for us.

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 146-147]