Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
07-June-2015 (Sunday) Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda

07-June-2015 (Sunday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
Love as the sustaining Principle in Life – 1

The devotee, like the bee, is always eager to sip the nectar of the lotus feet of the Lord, and the Lord too like the bumble-bee, tastes the honey of the lotus heart of the devotee. This essence of the lotus of the heart – the subtlest, purest and the most beautiful substance of the Jiva’s heart – flowing as a sap and sustaining his thoughts, transforms itself into what is known as the Rasa (blissful sentiment) of Santa, Dasya etc. It is by this Rasa (sap) that the meagre powers of the Jiva get invigorated and nurtured. Without the foundation of this Rasa and its joyful manifestation, the functioning of the life principle would have come to stop. At all levels of life, from grass to man, Rasa is the life-giving principle, expressing itself as the joy of living. The complete manifestation of Rasa is the Lord Himself. To make the devote taste this Rasa the Lord manifests Himself age after age as man. In the present age, to make mankind taste this Rasa, He appeared as Sri Ramakrishna the Ideal Son, the Child beyond the three Gunas and as Sri Sarada Devi, the quintessence of the Mother’s Heart. I have brought up this topic here mainly with the idea of expounding the attitudes of the Mother and Son and of the ‘Father and Daughter,’ which form the core of the Lord’s play (Lila) as man. To make the play conform to the necessity of the times, the Mother herself appeared as both the Mother and the Daughter.

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 147-148]