Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
June 20, 2016 Saturday: Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

20-June-2015 (Saturday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
Pilgrimages to the South and other Places – 1

Just as she went on pilgrimage to the Northern parts of the country, she went to the south also with her devotee children in her later days. Thus, at the earnest request of the devotees of the South, she visited the famous places of pilgrimage such as Rameswaram, Madurai etc., where she had exalted divine experiences and her companions found great joy. At that time she stayed for several days near the Ramakrishna Math at Madras and Bangalore and graced many devotees with initiation. Those men and women of different provinces did not at all understand the language of the Mother and the Mother did not understand theirs. Still, on being initiated by her they considered themselves blessed and were very happy, and the Mother too was much pleased with their genuine devotion and regard. Being completely unknown to each other and so different in their dress and manners, a conversation between the two was impossible, but still there was ‘complete self-surrender’ on the one side and ‘complete acceptance’ on the other! How was this made possible? The Utterance of a syllable or two accompanied with certain gestures and a benign look, bound the devotees for ever with an unbreakable bond of love and grace. This may look paradoxical at first. But whenever we are reminded of the eternal bond of the eternal bond of love between the hearts of the Mother and her child, all doubts disappear. Does the relationship between a tiny baby and its mother depend upon the exchange of clear words or polished and well-mannered behaviour between the two? Never! The Mother looks at the baby and the baby looks at the Mother, and there may at the most be exchange of a few indistinct syllables.

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 154-155]