Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
June 25, 2016 Thursday: Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

25-June-2015 (Thursday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
The two phases of Mother and daughter in her – 1

Even in the matter of ordinary daily contacts with people, the Mother would be watchful of the working of their minds and adjust her own behaviour with them in such a way that their feelings were not hurt in the least. Again, she had no attachment for anything in this world. She was always established in her own Self. Respected Yogin-Ma and Golap-Ma alone had carefully observed this wonderful trend of the Mother’s mind. That was why they served the Mother so whole-heartedly and with such great devotion. In their day-to-day relation with her, they maintained a twofold attitude. On the one hand, they venerated her as their very Chosen Ideal, and on the other, looked upon her as a daughter, whose health and welfare they were duty bound to safeguard. And that great personage Swami Saradananda, noted scholar and man of knowledge, who looked upon himself as ‘the gate-keeper of the Mother’, also realised in this ‘Devi of divine mood’, these two aspects of her personality – the ‘Divine Mother’ to be worshipped on the one hand and the ‘human daughter’ to be protected on the other. Sitting in a room adjoining the entrance to the Udbodhan Office, he would keep a constant watch to see that undesirables did not get in and the Mother’s peace was not disturbed. She was thus well protected and allowed to remain away from public gaze, as she herself desired. It was very difficult in those days to secure even a photo of the Holy Mother. When, however, the Mother wanted to bestow her grace on any devotee specially, the Swami would bow his head down in devotion and humility, and hum to himself, ‘As tge wilful one wills’ (refrain of a song.)

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 157 – 158]