Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
June 27, 2015 Saturday: Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

27-June-2015 (Saturday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
Juxtaposition of contrary Sentiments – 1

It was in the prison of Kamsa that the Lord incarnated as Krishna, the son of Vasudeva and Devaki. But the radiance of his body illumined the dark cell in the prison and seeing his charming luminous form, sporting the divine conch, discus, mace and lotus in his four arms, the eye of knowledge of his parents was opened. This divine eye revealed to them the pure Brahman, the receptacle of the whole world, in their child, and they started singing hymns in praise of Him, with their hearts full of joy. Finding manifested before her the Supreme Being, by whose will the whole of this creation comes into being, exists and dissolves, Devaki’s joy knew no bounds. But in the twinkling of an eye, all this changed when the same Divinity, as infant Krishna, cried. Forgetting everything, she clasped the infant and applied him to her breast. And as she did so, her heart was trembling with fear, lest the cry of the baby should draw the attention of the watchmen and bring the cruel Kamsa to the scene to snatch away the child and kill him as he did with her earlier issues. Her Mother’s heart was troubled with the sole thought – how to protect her helpless darling!

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 159]