Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
July 5, 2015 Sunday: Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

05-July-2015 (Sunday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
The Meaning of the Human Weakness of Incarnations – 2

All mothers look at the childish pranks and frivolities of their children with unwinking eyes, and their hearts are filled with joy thereby. That is why when devotees find the Lord sporting like their own children, they become happy like mother Yashoda. Compared with the expounder of the Gita and the Lord with His four arms holding the conch, discus, made and lotus, far more appealing to their hearts is the beloved child of Nanda, who breaks the pot f curds, steals butter and runs away when one tries to catch him. To the devotees, the form of the child tottering under the weight of the wooden stool of Nanda, is more attractive than the Lords form with four arms holding divine weapons in them. Narayana lying in the bed of ‘Ananta’ and having his legs massaged by the Goddess of Prosperity herself, does not captivate his heart in the way the form of the Darling of Kausalya with jingling anklets on his legs does. Though Yasoda witnessed the supernatural powers of her son again and again, still when her Gopala jumped into her lap calling her ‘mother’, did she ever remember any of those experiences of divine glory? How many times had Kausalya heard that the Lord had been born as Ramachandra to destroy Rakshasas and lighten the burden of Mother Earth! But did any of these come to her mind when she took him up in her arms and kissed him?

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 164 – 165]