Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
July 18, 2015 Saturday: Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

18-July-2015 (Saturday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
The Mother as a Paramahamsa:
A Combination of Girlishness and Motherliness – 5

The Holy Mother was ordinarily very humble and prone to show to others the respect due to them. Every word she spoke, and every action she did, was after due consideration. And as regards her modesty, there was no limit to it. Swami Abhedananda in his ‘Hymn to Sarada devi’ has graphically depicted her as ‘Lajjapatavrite nityam Sarade jnanadayike” “Oh Sarada, who is always covered by the veil of modesty. .” Swami Vivekananda in his ‘Hymn to Sarada Devi’ has introduced ‘Om, Hrim’ – the Bija-mantras of both the Master and the Mother res[ectively. ‘Hri’ besides being the body of that Bija, also means modesty and bashfulness. It was indeed true that the Mother was the very personification of modesty and bashfulness. But side by side was present in her the attitude of the Paramahamsa also, her behaviour like a little girl. Those who had the good fortune of closely associating with her saw in her the heart-bewitching combination of the bashful Mother and the little girl, which filled their hearts with wonder and joy. She was the ‘daughter-mother’ to many of the elderly lady-devotees like Golap-Ma and Yogin-Ma.

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 170]