Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
July 22, 2015 Wednesday: Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

22-July-2015 (Wednesday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
The Mother as a Paramahamsa:
The Transcendent Nature of the Mother – 2

A certain disciple Sri Surendranath Sarkar of Ranchi once came to see the Holy Mother. Praising the good work of a son who was staying with the Mother, he said, “You all are certainly very fortunate in being near the Mother.” His words made me reflect: Were we really near the Mother? What was the meaning of the word ‘near’? For the life of me, I could not get at it. With all humility I said to Surendra Babu, “As far as I see, I find every one is ‘away’ from her, some to a greater extent and some to a lesser.” But there is a distance separating every one from her. What is the way to overcome this distance once for all? Unless one got the Mother in the innermost core of one’s heart, this distance would always be there, no matter where one was. Those who were devoted, were always very close to her by virtue of their intrinsic devotion. Consciousness of His supernatural powers keeps the Lord away from one while the feeling that He is one’s ‘very own’, brings Him close.

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 172 – 173]