Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
July 28, 2015 Tuesday: Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

28-July-2015 (Tuesday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
The Mother as a Paramahamsa:
Mother’s Reaction to the Story of Dhruva – 1

Here is another incident which shows how much the sorrows and sufferings of others actually entered the heart of the Mother. A certain ‘writer-son’ of hers had sent to the Mother a copy of Dhruva Charita written by him. At this the Mother was very happy and was eager to have it read out to her. Accordingly, one evening after nightfall a mat was spread on the veranda, and the Mother sat listening to the reading. With her there were the other ladies of the household. A son sat at a little distance from them to read. As the reading proceeded, they were all very happy. After a while there came the description of a sad incident. King Uttanapada, sitting on his throne and taking up on lap Uttama, the little son of his favourite wife Suruchi, was fondling him. Seeing this, Dhruva, the son of his other wife Suniti, came forward to get on to his father’s lap. At this Suruchi, scolding Dhruva, said, “How dare you do this, my boy? If you have the desire to get on to the king’s lap, then take your birth again from my womb.” The henpecked king could not bestow any attention on Dhruva out of fear of Suruchi. The boy therefore burst out crying in utter sorrow. Listening to this tale of woe the Mother too started shedding tears. The reader stopped a little. When the Mother became pacified and wiped her eyes, the reading started again.

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 176]