Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
August 7, 2015 Friday: Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

07-August-2015 (Friday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
The Mother as a Paramahamsa:
A Police Officer at The Mother’s House – 1

While on the subject of Police vigilance at Jayrambati, it is necessary to narrate an incident that took place a few months before the one just described. We do not know if there was any connection between the interest that the Police started taking about Jayrambati and the increase in the number of revolutionaries in Bengal politics, with even girls joining that party. Anyway, at about this time, the Police were busy collecting detailed information about all who arrived at and left Jayrambati and Koalpara. The Chowkidar would come every night and take down detailed information about all who came to the Mother’s place, which was known to the police as Mataji’s Ashrama. He would take down their addresses, where they were coming from and where they would go etc., and would hand it over at the Police outpost. At this time, in order to keep a constant watch, a Dafedar, too, was engaged besides the Chowkidar. Formerly, those sons of the Mother who took part in politics, would come to her in the morning and leave the place before nightfall. Their names would not thus find entry in the Chowkidar’s book. But now the Chowkidar and the Dafedar would come at all times of the day and pester them with all sorts of questions. Not only this, they would even institute Police enquiries at the newcomer’s houses and birth-places. Aided by their imagination the Police would often concoct far-fetched stories. All this created an atmosphere of suspicion and unrest there.

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 180 – 181]