Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
August 10, 2015 Monday: Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

10-August-2015 (Monday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
The Mother as a Paramahamsa:
A Police Officer at The Mother’s House – 4

A few days after the Jagaddhatri Puja in the Bengali year 1325 (1918-19) this high-ranking officer came to the outpost at Siromanipur for inspection. From there he came to the Mother’s place in a palanquin. There were present at that time a few of her other sons too. The Police Officer was received with due respect. After seeing the place from outside he went in with Bibhuti Babu to pay his respects to the Mother. The verandah of the Mother’s room was the venue of his reception. We did not have the opportunity to witness how the Mother received him, how he had his snack and what conversation passed between them. After some time he came out and stood in the inner courtyard of the Mother’s place and the Mother too, came and stood before him. He was now taking leave of the Mother. From the few words that came to our ears, we understand that their conversation had been on the subject of the Police activities. With a smile on his lips the Police Officer said to the Mother, “I hope all these do not frighten you.” At this Bibhuti Babu interposed and remarked, “Oh! Why should it cause any fear?” The others were standing there silent. The Police Superintendent was still looking at the Mother and was waiting for her answer. At this the Mother replied, like a little girl talking to her father, “Yes, sir, I am very much frightened by all this.” These words created a sympathetic vibration of the heart in the hard-hearted Police Officer. He, too, like a father taking leave of his loving daughter, said in a kind voice giving her assurance, “Don’t have any fear, please, I shall make all possible arrangements to shield you from all harassment.” Saying this, he took leave of the Mother in a happy mood, got into his palanquin and started on his journey back. The Mother also looked on him with the attitude of a daughter. We do not know if the sweet words and the kind glance of the Mother produced any permanent effect on the heart of the Police Officer. But it is certain that at that time he was much charmed by the love and affection of this unique ‘daughter’.

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 181 – 182]