Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
August 14, 2015 Friday: Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

14-August-2015 (Friday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
The Mother as a Paramahamsa:
Mother’s Grace on uninitiated Disciples – 3

Another devotee, hearing from the initiated sons of the Mother about the infinite grace of hers, became very eager to have her Darsan. The Mother was then in her native village. At that time the journey to Jayrambati via Vishnupur by bullock cart was a difficult problem. He was cogitating about it in his mind, when one night he had a dream in which he found himself in Jayrambati where the Mother was offering him with great affection her Prasadi Duth-Bhat (Prasad of rice mixed with milk).

The result of this divine dream was that his keenness increased and he overcame all difficulties and went to Jayrambati. He, however, had no desire to get initiation from her. Getting the Darsan of the Mother, and tasting her love and affection, his heart was filled to the brim. And the wonder of wonders is that when he was resting after his noonday meal, the Mother had him brought to her. She then put in his hand a bowl of milk and rice left over after her meal and said, “Come, my son, take it!” The mind and heart of the devotee were filled to overflowing with joy and he consumed to his heart’s content that Prasada saturated with the nectar of her love. After his bath, he had spread his cloth in the sun to dry. When after his rest, he went in the evening to collect it, he was worried at not finding it there. Later he found that the Mother had herself collected it and kept it neatly folded. On his approach she handed the cloth over to him and said: “My son, it the cloth is kept in the sun for long, it gets spoilt. That is why I removed it.” Thus, within a very short time he got the love, affection and grace of the Mother in so many ways, that he returned from the Mother’s place completely satisfied. He had heard before of the Mother’s universal love, but he could really understand it only now when actually he saw how much trouble the Mother put herself to in caring for her children. it was the realisation of this that made him cut short his stay. For, the Mother would then have to take so much trouble like this on his account. He considered the Darsan of the Mother and her bestowal of affection on him as in themselves the supreme boon of his life. In his heart he entertained no desire to be initiated by her. He returned fully satisfied with the conviction that, by the direct contact he had with the Mother, he received all that initiation and Sadhana are expected to give. Where then was the need for initiation? The Mother showered her grace on a child the way that he or she wanted it. Her benign glance constituted liberation, giving as it did the real knowledge and direct perception of the Mother-child relationship.

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 183 – 184]