Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
August 15, 2015 Saturday: Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

15-August-2015 (Saturday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
The Mother as a Paramahamsa:
A Birthday Celebration of The Mother – 1

At Jayrambati the Mother would first feed the sons and then would sit for her own food with the women. So it was difficult for the sons to have the Prasada after she took it, thus making it her own Prasada too. Once on her birth anniversary the sons made a special request to the Mother that they would have Prasada that day after the Mother had her meal of the food-offerings made in the shrine. The Mother did not raise any objection to this that day. After the Mother finished the Bhoga (food-offering) to the Master, she was asked to sit on a fine Asana in Nalini-Didi’s room, and the various dishes (items) of the Bhoga were arranged properly in front of her, as they do before a Goddess. The Mother sat down for her meal. But hardly had she taken two or three mouthfuls when she said very pathetically to a son in front of her who was managing everything that day, “Food refuses to go down my throat before my boys have had their meal!” Looking at the Mother’s face and seeing her pathetic condition, the sons were brought to their senses. They realised what a blunder they had committed. The result of their attempt to convert her into a Devi, a Goddess, was that the Mother had to go without food. They should really have had their meal first and then arranged for the Mother’s meals with the women as usual. The Mother got up from the Asana saying, “now quickly manage to have your own meal.” She had simply tasted a little of the offered food.

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 184 – 185]