Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
August 16, 2015 Sunday: Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

16-August-2015 (Sunday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
The Mother as a Paramahamsa:
A Birthday Celebration of The Mother – 2

That day there were many other things that attracted our attention. I shall try to describe here only two of them. At that time there had collected at Jayrambati many disciple-sons. Sadhus and Bhaktas, to attend the function, which was celebrated on a grand scale. In the morning, after the worship of the Master was finished, the Mother sat on her bed to accept the worship of her children. The revered Kapil Maharaj had come from the Udbodhan with many presents including fruits, sweets and a new cloth. The revered Sarat Maharaj, Yogin-Ma, Golap-Ma and other had sent with great care many nice articles for the occasion. Putting on a new saree, the mother sat facing the west with a beaming countenance, her hands resting on her lap and her legs dangling. Kapil Maharaj put round her neck a beautiful garland of yellow and dark-brown marigold, made by a son with the flowers gathered from the Mother’s garden. The long garland falling over the black tresses and the milk-white cloth produced captivating picture of the Mother, whose face was shining today with a wonderful divine grace. A divine atmosphere and the appearance of the residence of a Deity pervaded the interior of the house. It was filled with systematically arranged offerings, flowers of different hues, scented incense and bright lights. The elder Sannyasins, followed by the Brahmachatins and the devotees, laid Pushpanjali (offering of flowers) at her feet and made Pranam with great devotion, one by one. The outsiders who chanced to be present there, watched this scene entranced, with their hands folded. Some of them even offered Pushpanjali and made Pranams to her, touching her feet. It was indeed true that the Mother was the Wish-fulfilling Tree that day, showering her grace on everybody present there. But later on, some of her children had misgivings about what took place that day. They had the apprehension that undesirable consequences would follow from the Mother’s pure body being allowed to be touched by all and sundry indiscriminately. And it did actually happen so. For, from that very evening the Mother started having high fever and a severe burning sensation in her body.

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 185 – 186]