Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
August 17, 2015 Monday: Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

17-August-2015 (Monday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
The Mother as a Paramahamsa:
A Birthday Celebration of The Mother – 3

A little before noon that day, when everybody in the house was attending the ceremonies connected with the birthday celebration, Bhajan or devotional music was being sung in the adjoining room, and inside the house various preparations were being cooked for the Bhoga. The Mother herself was at that time seen cutting vegetables on one side of the verandah of the kitchen, preparing the diet for Sejo-Mami (the third aunt), and taking it to her. The Mami was then indisposed in the confinement room, having given birth to her youngest son, Vijay, just a few days back. There was no other lady in her room. The Mother looked after her with great love and affection. Seeing this wonderful action of hers, the thought arose in my mind: “For whom was this Birthday Celebration being observed with such éclat? Was this the illustration of complete detachment, comparable to a drop of water on a lotus leaf? Is this the way that a maid-servant lives in a rich man’s house, as described in the parable of the Master? It was only the children of the Mother who were busying themselves, making the occasion an excuse, while she herself was completely detached. There was not the slightest ruffle in her mind.”

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 186]