Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
August 29, 2015 Saturday: Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

29-August-2015 (Saturday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
The Mother’s Condescension to a lowly-placed Son – 1

The Mother’s unique way of fulfilling the longings of her weak children, is something wonderful to contemplate. Some examples of it which took place during her last illness would very well illustrate it.

Getting news of the Mother’s illness, a certain lowly son of hers had come from a distant region. Being known to all the attendants well, he was allowed to have a Darsan of the Mother every day. He would enter her room quietly, mentally make Pranam to her from a distance, and if allowed to approach her, do so and speak a word or two with her, and leave the room the moment he felt that he had been there too long. His heart palpitated lest the Mother should suffer from talking with him more than what was safe for her, and the authorities who observed it should put a stop to the little facility he was getting of having a glimpse of the Mother. As the Mother was sick, he could not make Pranam to her; and to touch her feet, was out of question. The most he could do was to salute her sometimes joining his palms. The feeling welled up in his heart: “Alas, how unlucky I am. I have not been able to talk with the Mother to my heart’s content even once, nor though her.”

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 192 – 193]