Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
September 1, 2015 Tuesday: Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

1-September-2015 (Tuesday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
The Mother’s Condescension to a lowly-placed Son – 4

Everyone in the house was resting after the noonday meal. So the house was absolutely quiet. Only sometimes the sound of a word or two, spoken in the office room below came floating. A vague fear of possible consequences sat heavily on his heart, forcing him to stand away from the bed. But the Mother, to satisfy his mind and soul for the rest of his life, started talking to him very slowly in a mood of great intimacy. After dwelling on several topics, the Mother referred to her present ailment and said that all the expert treatment had no curative effect on it. At this the son tried to pacify her as one did a little girl, saying, “No, no, through the grace of the Master it will be all right. You should have no worry.” There was, however, no sign of any sorrow or worry in the Mother’s eyes, face or words, about her body. Finding that the Mother had not the least attachment for her body, the son’s mind was filled with great sorrow and worry; for it foreboded danger. But with a view to hide his feelings within himself, he tried to maintain the trend of his talk about the malady getting cured. Looking at his face, the Mother said, “Just see how a dimple can be produced on my body.” So saying, she pressed the tip of her finger on her foot. When the son stared at the depression thus formed, she asked him to see it for himself by pressing a finger of his.

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 193 – 194]