Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
September 6, 2015 Sunday: Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

6-September-2015 (Sunday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Swami Saradeshananda
The Last Days of the Mother – 1

The revered Sarat Maharaj and other children of the Mother were trying their best to cure her and restore her to health. Allopathy, Homoeopathy, Ayurveda, propitiation of Deities, stars and palents, performance of Homa etc., were all tried at some time or other; but none of them could effect the desired enduring cure, though each of them gave a little relief at the beginning. When they were performing a special Puja and Homa, a son would come daily from the Belur Math bringing with him flowers and Bilwa leaves. Along with these, he would bring for the Mother ‘Amrut Shak’ (a type of spinach) and ‘Patilebu’ (a variety of small lemon) from the Math garden. One day when he came early in the morning and went to the shrine room, he found Kapil Maharaj perturbed. The Ghata (pot) in which the Pooja was being performed, had all of a sudden sprung a leak that morning. They changed it, but found the new one too leaking. Everybody present was struck with fear. Kapil Maharaj then went himself to the shop and brought another pot after minute examination. The Pooja was delayed. This day they were having a Special Pooja and Homa for the ‘guardian deity’ of the Mother’s Destiny. So they were all very much upset at these unexpected and evil-foreboding obstacles, especially now when the Mother was very ill. When a Sadhu told about it to Yogin-Ma, she answered in a very dejected mood: “Yes, my child, I do understand it all. It is not the Ghata that has sprung a leak. It is our luck that has done so.” Everybody there remained absolutely mute. Their last hope was being dashed to pieces.

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 195 – 196]