Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
September 24, 2015 Thursday: Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

24-September-2015 (Thursday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Second Part
Swami Saradeshananda
5. On Offerings and Subscriptions – 1

When we think about the decisions the Mother took, and her far-sightedness, we are filled with limitless wonder. When Doctor Sajani Babu, a scion of the family of Roys, the Zamindars of Jayrambati, expressed his desire to be initiated by the Mother, she at first refused him with sweet words. But on his still persisting with his request, she ultimately gave him the initiation. When at the end of it, he made his Pranam to the Mother and offered two rupees as Guru Dakshina at her feet, she persuaded him to take it back. To a son who was surpeised at this action of the Mother, she said, “When he brings to us sometimes some produce of his garden, it is all right. But if I accept money from him, his people may start thinking that I have an eye on their property. They are Zamindars, worldly people, and that is why I accepted the money and then returned it to him.”

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 204 – 205]