Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
September 28, 2015 Monday: Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

28-September-2015 (Monday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Second Part
Swami Saradeshananda
7. How the Mother cautioned the Monastic Disciples from mixing with Women too much

If some son would express a desire to live near her at Jayrambati, she would say, “I live here with my daughters and women. So it is not convenient to have men here.” Those who had to live there for work, were not to come inside the house at any time and every time, or to mix too much with the womenfolk. She would caution the boys about this directly. Even then if she found somebody frequenting the inside of the house too often, she would straightway tell him, “It is women who live here. They are often unmindful of covering their bodies properly when they are amongst themselves. So if a man comes in suddenly, they feel embarrassed. Please do not do it again.” A certain son, in spite of being cautioned by the Mother thus, did become familiar with the women and get into trouble. In later years, the Mother would remind her weak sons about this incident, and would ask them not to be very familiar even with the devoted women. To set an example, she would not allow them to be near her even, for too long a time.

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 206 – 207]