Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
October 03 2015 Saturday: Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

03-October-2015 (Saturday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Second Part
Swami Saradeshananda
8. The Mother’s Attitude towards Worldly Values – 4

The Mother would sometimes speak in a sorrowful vein about the great hankering for worldly enjoyments and wealth that her own relations, brothers and nieces envinced to the exclusion of faith in, and devotion for the Lord. If she found somebody getting attracted to material things, even after leaving the world and taking to Sannyasa, the Mother would be very much pained. That was why, when anybody wanted to take to the path of renunciation, she would caution him and ask him to advance towards it with due deliberation and not to act on the spur of the moment. She would say that every action, big or small, should be taken up only after due thought. One day at the Udbodhan the cook was absent. They were deliberating as to who would take his place tht day, when a young Brahmacharin thrust himself forward to do the cooking. His idea was that the Mother was not to be put to any strain on this score. When this was expressed to the Mother, she did not approve of it. The Mother forbade him saying, “Here we have to cook for a large number of people. You will not be able to handle the big pots for the purpose.” Then she quietly cautioned him not to thrust himself forward in anything without due thought. But unfortunatelt this advice of the Mother did not make an impression on him then. After many rebuffs in later life, the soundness of this advice was brought home to him.

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 208 – 209]