Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
October 23 2015 Friday: Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

23-October-2015 (Friday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Second Part
Swami Saradeshananda
12. The Mother’s Concern for the Poor: Case of Haridas Vairagi – 1

The First World War was then on. The country was suffering from a great scarcity of cloth. It was difficult for people to cover their modesty. There was a householder Vaishnava in the village of Desra, Haridas Vairagi by name. He used to earn his living by singing to the people and playing on a violin as accompaniment. One day he had come to the Mother’s house. The Keertan of the name of Hari by householder Vaishnavas, the sweet songs depicting the various Leelas of the Lord, not only provided an entertainment to the people but along with it helped in the development of their devotional tendencies and acted as a healing balm to their hearts. The peple had great devotion and love for the various names and forms of the Lord like Vishnu, Siva, Sakti etc., though they maintained at the same time their allegiance to their respective Chosen Ideals.

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 215 – 216]