Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
October 31 2015 Saturday: Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

31-October-2015 (Saturday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Second Part
Swami Saradeshananda
13. The Incident of the Palanquin Bearers – 5

Now, in the drawing room of Bara-Mama, where the bearers stayed, there was a great uproar. Swami Bhumananda was a highly choleric person. Before his volley of fiery words, there stood the trembling bearers with folded hands! How dared thay create this disturbance at night when they had already been given a rupee and had agreed to ask for nothing more – he demanded in a threatening voice. At this the leader of the bearers, who had gone to ask for the refreshments, said, “Maharaj, we had gone out enquiring where the puffed rice was available. But the inmates of a house there dubbed us as great fools, and told us that if we had simply asked for it, standing by the side of the dor of the Mother’s house, we would at once have got our fill of puffed rice and molasses. For, they said, that was the custom at the Mother’s place. Maharaj, we did not want to do so and create a disturbance. But when they insisted again and again on our asking for our needs at the Mother’s house itself, we hungry people, who did not know where else to go for puffed rice in this strange place, had no other go but to get back and try our luck, We thought we would ask once and desist if we failed. We have now already got the refreshments we require. We are not to be blamed in the matter. It was the people of the locality who misdirected us.”

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 219 – 220]