Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
November 5 2015 Thursday: Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

5-November-2015 (Thursday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Second Part
Swami Saradeshananda
15. How the Mother was anxious to Feed Her Children – 1

It was winter. Some disciple-sons of the Mother had come from a distant land to have Darsan of her, learning that she was then down with fever. As soon as they reached the Mother’s place in the afternoon, they asked if they could get in that place some food other than rice. For, they had no food the whole day, and they had been walking a long distance. A son, who was staying there then, informed them that there was some Khuchuri left-over from the noonday preparations, but that it was very cold and one should not take such cold food in winter. If they just waited a little, he offered to heat it for them. But they were so very hungry that they could not bear the delay, and took that cold Khichudi to their fill with great satisfaction. The Mother was not consulted about it. When she came to know about it from another, she sent for the son who had served them the Khuchuri. The Mother was lying on her bed, and as soon as the son came to her, she cast an anguished look at him and said in a choked voice, “My dear boy, you gave them cold Khichudi to eat. If this brings fever?” Seeing the Mother’s worry and sorrow, he also felt very sad and repentant. He, however, told her hesitantly that he, too, did not want to serve them cold Khichudi, but was compelled to do so because of their extreme hunger. The Mother still went on lamenting. It was because she was sick that these boys had come from distant place to see her, taking so much trouble but alas! She could not look afer them and feed them herself. And now they have taken cold Khichuri and would most likely be sick themselves! The son, too, now understood that it would have been better if he had consulted her before acting. So both of them felt very much worried, and when the next morning they found the visitors in good health through the grace of the Master, they felt relieved.

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 221 – 222]