Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
November 12 2015 Thursday: Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

12-November-2015 (Thursday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Second Part
Swami Saradeshananda
16. The Mother’s Solicitude for the physical and spiritual Welfare of Disciples – 2

How great was the Mother’s concern for the mental and spiritual growth of her sons along with their physical well-being, will be clear if one goes through what I am writing here. When a son after suffering from malaria for a long time, expressed a desire to go to his birth-place, the Mother was pleased and said, “Yes, you better go there for some time and have a change of climate.” He had not yet completely severed his connection with his own family. When he was taking his leave, the Mother told him, “Please look upon your parents as Hara (Siva) and Gouri, and serve them as such. This will improve your mind.” Three years after this, he fell ill again and asked the Mother’s permission to go home, which he did obtain. But on the day of his departure when he went to the Mother to make Pranam to her and receive her blessings, the Mother, wiping tears from her eyes, said, “Please do not stay at home for long. You may be caught in the snares.” The Mother blessed the son by placing her palm on his head and prayed to the Master for him. Nevertheless, the worry and pain that the Mother was feeling for him touched his heart. Was the Mother really seeing the future before her eyes? As a matter of fact, the son got into various troubles after reaching home and was actually being swept off his feet, completely forgetful of himself. But it was the memory of those words of caution of the Mother and her heart-felt concern for him that saved him from enticements. Little by little, when he had sunk very low there, the sad face of the Mother suddenly flashed before his mind’s eye, and he at once ran back like one mad, and fell at the feet of the Mother. It was as if the Mother had actually drawn back the son to her by her cord of love!

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 223 – 224]