Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
November 13 2015 TFriday: Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

13-November-2015 (Friday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Second Part
Swami Saradeshananda
16. The Mother’s Solicitude for the physical and spiritual Welfare of Disciples – 3

How should one live in the world? The attraction of worldly possessions affects the minds of everyone. The Sadhus have the advantage of living away from actual connection with lust and gold, no doubt, but there is nevertheless the danger even for them of entertaining hankering for these with the added force that thwarted desires can give. The householder, however, living an honest religious life, may have some of these inborn tendencies satisfied to some extent. But they are sure to exercise a strong influence on him as worldly attachments. That was ahy the Mother used to quote the Master’s keen observations in such matters. She would say: “The Master saw the duck-chicks floating, diving and swimming in the water of the Haldar Pukur, but there would not be drop of water sticking to them – they would just shake it off. He gave their example and said that in this world one should live like these. Though living in the midst of worldly possessions, one should completely shake off all attachments for them from the mind. The Master used to teach one to live in the world completely unattached.”

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 224]