Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
November 15 2015 Sunday: Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

15-November-2015 (Sunday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Second Part
Swami Saradeshananda
17. The Mother’s Way of Life in the World – 2

The glories and grandeurs of the world, the wealth and possessions that one enjoys, are all transitory – this minute they are, and the next one they may vanish. The prosperity that the Mother had seen at Kamarpukur during the first stage of her life there, had all disappeared later on. There was the family of Yugis towards the north of the Master’s house in Kamarpukur. The Mother used to say about their condition those days: "Oh, how many were the members of the family of the Yugis! But now see, everything is gone! And what about the wealth and property of the Lahas who lived towards the east! Their prosperity was indescribable – there was the guest house, the free feeding for the poor, the temple with its adjoining structures, the large number of men and women inhabiting the house, the performance of the various festivals in their temple etc. There was hardly a month when they had not at least one festival. And that pond at the back of the house with its deep blue water! Ah! then think of the family of the pines to the south! Where have they all gone now? It was a rich family with many members. But now everything is gone!” The Mother would mention these so that, realising the transitoriness of worldly possessions, her sons may be saved from their snares. If one can always keep in mind that such things vanish like a dream, one can develop detachment in one’s mind.

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 225]