Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
From the Reminiscences The Holy Mother - 23-12-2015

From the pages of The Reminiscences of the Holy Mother

One day when taking out all the clothes from Mother’s box in order to air them, I came across a torn piece of Assam silk – endi or perhaps mooga. I suggested, “Mother, let me throw this away, it’s torn.” Mother said, “No, son, don’t throw that away; ‘Khuki’ had gifted it to me with so much love! I’ve worn it many times.” Khuki was Sister Nivedita whom Mother loved dearly. When Swamiji sent Nivedita to meet Mother, he had been apprehensive that Mother, a countrywoman, might turn her out for being a mlechchha (non-Hindu). Besides, Mother did not know English, nor did Nivedita know Bengali. Swamiji had sent his disciple Swarupananda as an interpreter. When Swarupananda introduced Nivedita to Mother, she was very pleased. When she asked Nivedita her name, she answered in English, “My name is Margaret Elizabeth Noble.” Mother said to her, “I can’t remember such a long name, my child, I shall call you ‘Khuki’.” Swami Swarupananda then explained to Nivedita, “Mother will not be able utter such a big name, she will call you ‘Khuki’ (baby).” Delighted, Nivedita kept saying, “Yes, yes, I am Mother’s baby.” With great joy she reported to Swamiji, “Mother placed her hand on my head and blessed me, she let me touch her feet by way of offering pranam, she gave me prasad and said she would call me ‘Khuki’.” In order to communicate directly with Mother, Nivedita learned Bengali from Swami Swarupanandaji. Such was Mother’s love for one and all, her warmth in her dealings with everyone.

MOTHER AS I KNEW HER – by SWAMI GAURISWARANANDA (REMINISCENCES OF Sri Sarada Devi by Monastics, Devotees, and others - Compiled and Edited in Bengali by SWAMI PURNATMANANDA - Translated by MALOTI SEN GUPTA : P 88-89)